Friday, January 29, 2010

3. Traffic in Iloilo

Report 3
Hi Everyone,

Rarely see a white guy, but lots of American influence-- Coca Cola, McDonalds, Wendys. I even bought an electrical adaptor at Ace Hardware. I saw a white guy once and when our eyes met we nodded to each other a sense of acknowledgement. People stare at me all the time. They try to be subtle about it, but I catch their glances. They actually like white skin and often wish they had light skin. Ironically, I admire theirs and wish I had their beautiful chocolaty skin so I wouldn't burn so much.

Walking through Heide's hometown Passi, I find it really charming-- little girls walking together in school uniforms, strong Catholic religious influence in public displays near the churches (the Philippines is 80% Catholic as a result of 200 years of Spanish rule). The pace of life gives a strong sense of a past time in America. I did see an old lady smoking a big cigar that she rolled herself. The people are very friendly and seem happy in spite of their often impoverished situations. The pace of life seems slow and easy-going with a lot of people hanging out while they try to sell their wares in the street or sit on their bicycles waiting for customers to drive around in their side-cars. I see more people with little store fronts trying to sell things and few people buying. This is true in Baguio and Cavite as well.



Here's an entire family riding on one motorcycle with side-car. This sight was not uncommon. I caught this on video as our car zipped past them. The legal limit is six. I think there are seven on this one. The most I counted was nine. More later ... (I'm shooting snapshots of these bikes as they fly by.)

Signs are in English everywhere and most people can speak English. There's also lots of Spanish influence in the language as well as the culture. Even though we ride around until we're exhausted, I rarely see a stop sign or a traffic signal. I actually saw two stop signs today but I didn't see anyone stop for them-- including our own driver. The one traffic signal I saw was turned off. They did have a traffic cop filling in at that light, but traffic control was a rarity. Even though people drive every which way often crossing the road into on-coming traffic, I have not seen one accident or anything close to an accident. Everyone accommodates each other. I think that all this crazy driving keeps them on their toes. They become really good at driving. If you aren't good, you wouldn't be on the road. Pedestrians definitely do NOT have the right of way. The drivers do beep a lot to warn that they are coming. They beep for every car they see or person walking on the road. The roads are often terrible-- bumpy rides that test the limits of my stomach to hold down its contents (only lost it twice so far). Drivers dance between the gas peddle and the brake with the horn beeping in-between. You rarely see divided roads. I think that would restrict them too much since they're so accustomed to driving into on-coming traffic.



I happened to catch this motorcycle driver asleep on his bike while waiting for a customer to drive around in his side-car.

When you come to the Philippines, you bring lots of gifts to give to people. I juiced up a computer laptop and gave it to Denzil's family. The kids loved it. It helps Precious with her nursing studies at the local university. Since I retired, I returned to playing clarinet and saxophone-- mostly Mozart and jazz. So I purchased an inexpensive clarinet to bring to the Philippines to play in my spare time-- which I haven't had any so far. (I was afraid to bring my classic Buffet R13.) Anyway, I plan to leave the inexpensive clarinet with them as well. Heide is now learning to play the flute, so she bought an inexpensive flute to do the same. Then we also brought sneakers for everyone and rolls of toilet paper.

Whenever you go to any bathroom-- private or public-- you rarely see paper products. You never see paper towels and toilet paper is scarce. Often the toilets are missing seat covers and the water is turned off. There are usually buckets nearby so you can dump water manually into the toilets to flush them or upon yourself to shower. The hardest thing to find is hot water in a bathroom. I don't think anyone has a hot water tank. Sometimes people boil water to shower. Dealing with the toilets and the showers is the most difficult thing for me. I've seen people carry around little washcloths to wipe their hands in public bathrooms. Squatting on toilets that have no toilet-seat cover is a tough one.

In contrast, the food is divine. Breakfasts are not like our breakfasts-- they resemble lunch more. There's always rice and fish and lots of charming things that I never saw before but taste great.

I brought along sketchbooks and art supplies to draw, but haven't had much time. I've mostly been taking video and still photos. However, since we'll be here for two months, I'm sure I'll find time for other creative activities including playing Mozart.

Duane.

No comments:

Post a Comment